Monday, October 19, 2015

Working on the weekend

When you own a cabin, there are always projects that need done.  It's hard to get them done during the hunting weekend, so once in awhile, we try to schedule a 'work weekend' for the cabin owners.
Jake & Dana got to the cabin on Friday afternoon and had some time to target shoot before I arrived.
Glenn & Andy were coming later after the Spring Valley HS football game.
Jake was excited to tell me about shooting the gun for the first time, he also quickly told me that he had been to afraid to pull the trigger by himself but he was proud anyway.
The 3 of us went to eat fish at the Y-Go-By.
Jake tried shooting on the video game.
The gun didn't quite fit him, I think it made him shoot high.
Once back at the cabin, Dana and I started playing cribbage and having Jake learn a little bit.
Jake moved the pegs for us in-between watching a movie.
Finally Glenn & Andy arrived and we were all settled in for the night.
Saturday morning, I made breakfast of hashbrowns, sausage & eggs.
Jake loved the hashbrowns and ordered more for Sunday morning.
Then we got to work.

Our cabin has an addition that was not built on cement fittings, so over the years, there has been some sagging of that half of the structure, causing the front door to become "out of whack" (technical carpenter term).  So, job one was to jack up the cabin during work weekend.
Glenn and Dana started the job.

Then, friends Rick Pomerleau & Mary Stenberg stopped by for a visit.
Rick & Glenn
Mary brought some applesauce bars, so we took a coffee break.
The boys went back to work but the 4 of us visited for a bit.
Glenn & Rick had been close friends as kids, 
we grew up just 1/4 mile away from the Pomerleau's just West of Luck.
It was fun chatting, and hearing the cabin creak as the boys worked on the leveling project.

Andy and Dana were jacking while Jake was talking and talking and talking.

Once our company left, Glenn and I started to get busy starting more projects.
But first, Jake showed me his target hit from the day before, his first shot ever.

Then there was a break to do some target practice.

I was observing how the gun safety lessons were going.
Dana was thorough, having Jake check to see the gun & barrel were empty.

Then the bullet was loaded into the gun.

Dana helped Jake aim and hold the gun safely.

But this time, Jake pulled the trigger himself.
He was very excited and proud of this accomplishment.

 Then Andy did some target practice with one of his many firearms.
All had earplugs along except Glenn who only brought his fingers.

I'm not much for guns, but this is a hunting family and learning hunter safety & how to shoot is important to the boys as they grow up.

Finally it was back to work.
I started on the staining of the back of the cabin.


Glenn got working on the gable end of the front of the cabin.

He's better on an extension ladder than I am and it went fairly quickly.

The pine siding on the back of the cabin is rough and it was thirsty.
Glenn came to help me.

 I think I could have thrown the whole buck of stain up on the cabin and it would have soaked in.

 It helped to have Glenn staining as I have to rest my ankle fairly often, so my progress is slow.

 Inside, Andy & Dana were finishing the trim and battens on the ceiling.
We also added a ceiling fan to help move both warm air and cool air.

I tried to get Jake to take a selfie with me, but he wouldn't,
so I drew a little Jake on a notepad.


All that is left to stain is the gable end.
Ladders got hung and some clean up done.
Then we were done for the day,
YAY.

Here's the list of completed activity:
1.   Ceiling fan installed
2.   Bathroom switch turned/corrected
3.   Bathroom wooden table out, new resin table in
4.   Cabin leveled - mostly
5.   Shooting of guns (except for Wanda)
6.   Trimmed interior, except for front door
7.   Plumb door jamb, kinda, door closes and latches MUCH better
8.   Stained upper front and lower back of cabin
9.   Dog poop scooped - had to say it
10.  Chase, hide and seek, and talking about sharks with Jake
11.  Stove deep cleaned
12.  Entertained our company
13.  Cribbage played and Wanda won $1 from Dana
14.  Jake pulled the trigger

2017 To Do List
1.  Replace flooring in bathroom
2.  Finish walls in bathroom - cedar closet treatment?
3.  Finish staining, gable end of back of cabin
4.  Seal kitchen cabinet top for mouseproofing
5.  Bartop - new with nice edge
6.  Bar Rail - Brackets, Brass, Wooden?
7.  Trim Front Door
8.  Repair Outhouse Door and try to animal proof
9.  Stain Outhouse & generator box
10. Play cards, drink beer, have fun.

We cleaned up a bit and headed to The Cabin Store for dinner.

Jake played another shooting game, are you catching the theme?

 Jake was all about the bacon burger, double bacon by the way.


Sunday morning we woke to 21 degrees and a few pellets of snow on the ground.
Our cars were frosty and it was plenty chilly in the cabin.
Once the stove was going, I cooked a repeat breakfast, but Jake didn't like the hashbrowns as much.
I'll use more butter next time!

After a big breakfast, the boys got out their deer rifles and started figuring out a way to 'sight in'.
I relaxed in the sunshine while the boys walked through the woods
Dana & Andy

Jake & Andy

 Glenn & Jake walked out to pace off a certain distance.


Glenn counting his paces.


Jake coming out of the woods

Big excitement was that Jake found an animal skull in the woods.


 I checked with Kris, he thought the photo looked like a coyote skull.


Jake said all the shooting hurt his ears, so he and I watched The Lego Movie in the cabin.
Jake had been reading his book about sharks all weekend and telling us all the shark facts.
He teased me by making up a shark called the 'tip shark'.  While I was on the ladder staining he told me fact after fact after fact about this shark.  I'm not shark expert, so I bought it, hook, line & sinker.
Finally, he told me that he had made it all up and was just fooling me.
Silly kid.


When the shooters came back to the cabin we had grilled ham & cheese sandwiches.
Jake entertained us with 'what am I'?


Walrus boy.


Finally we all packed up our vehicles and got ready to head for home.

I wanted to try a group photo, the timer on my camera was only 2 seconds which was really not long enough for the photographer to be in the photo, 

but finally Glenn made it work.


As I left I took a few finished project photos.



It's a beautiful spot, a very nice cabin and I'm hoping to get back up there before the ground is white.

As I drove away, I saw this sign, looks like one of our neighbors is selling out.

It will be interesting to see if it sells and for how much and who moves in.

In the meantime, the work is done for this year.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails