Saturday, June 1, 2013

I got ambushed, in the rain

I ambushed myself.
I had read in the Rice Lake paper about a group that was starting to meet through the Rice Lake Library called Couch to 5K.  This system of working out claims to take a person from sitting on the couch to running a 5K in 9 weeks.  I really have not big desire to get running, but I thought if I was walking on a program like this, it would be a good thing.
The newspaper said that the first 'meeting' would be Saturday, June 1st at 4pm.  I thought what harm would it be to go to the meeting.  I've slowed down on my dedication to exercise lately, so I thought this might give me a good jump start to get moving.  So, after doing a little weed whacking in the yard, making at stop at Farm and Fleet, off I went to the 'meeting'.
I knew I was in trouble when I walked into the Library and immediately heard the announcement that they were closing in a few minutes.  So, I asked about the 'meeting' for the C25K group.  Oh, they said, not to worry, as soon as the library was closed, Dawn - the C25K leader, would change her clothes & shoes and we would be off on our first 'meeting'.
Hmmm, I suspected I had ambushed myself at that moment.  Another woman, Beth, showed up for the 'meeting', she was dressed for running / walking.  I had on my walking/running shoes, but the rest of my clothes were not what I would normally wear to go walking.
So, the library closed, Dawn handed us a little piece of paper with a route marked on it and off we went to our 'meeting'.
45 minutes later, and soaked to the skin by a hard rain that started when we were at the halfway mark of our 'meeting', we adjourned back at the library.  
Today's 'meeting' agenda was supposed to be 20 minutes long:  5 minutes of brisk walking as warm up, then 60 seconds of jogging, alternating with 90 seconds of walking until it was time for a 5 minute walking cool down.  I think I needed the introduction to C25K class, maybe the class From sitting on my a$$ to getting off the couch? but I happily lived through it.  No, I didn't run all the 60 second intervals, but I ran at least part of most of them.  If I can stay motivated and stick with it, I know it will get easier.  The good news is that Beth, who is new to Rice Lake and young enough to be my daughter, is interested in a walking / running partner, so hopefully meeting up with her once or twice a week will motivate me.
I was quite a sight at the end of today's 'meeting'.  Soaked completely through my underwear, a cotton tshirt that with the weight of the water it was holding, was stretching down to my knees.  Glasses that were useless and hair looking like a drowned rat!  
After the 'meeting'.
Talk about a natural rain facial (on my whole bod!).
But, I'm going to try to stick with it, I've set up my next C25K 'meeting' for Tuesday morning to travel the same route as today, hopefully with a little less rain.
Wish me luck.
***
Up-date
Today, Tuesday, I did my first C25K workout on my own.
I didn't break any speed records, but I completed the series of walking sessions and jogging sessions, although my jogging is slower than my walking sometimes.
So, I'm planning on doing the 3rd/final workout for this week on Thursday morning.
It is a fun program to use that tells you when to walk and when to run.
It also mapped my route and documented each stage.
Laila asked me if I was going to run a marathon, of course I said NO, not to mention at this speed, it would take about 8 hours to finish.
I'll be pleased if I can run part of a 5K this summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails