Saturday, June 22, 2013

Salad Bar is Closed

The deer have been busy eating the hostas that I have been busy planting.  This is not an acceptable arrangement (in my opinion).  Today I sprayed all the hostas with a product that claims it will keep the deer away.  I also wrapped anti deer netting around the trellis for my Frederikke's beans, as they have chomped those down to nothing as well.  
So, now the salad bar is closed.
Just as I was about to close binds and windows this evening, I saw the salad bar deer in my yard.  
They walked past the hostas in the front yard and headed down to the beans, but they didn't stay long.  
I came back in the house when they headed towards the road (I do not want to see or hear any collisions), 
but they got spooked and headed into the woods across from my house instead of trying to make it across the busy county road.
Whew.



I've wished to see deer in my yard since I moved here, and now I'm not so sure that it is a good thing.
***
After I saw these two and wrote this post on Saturday, I re-positioned the trail cam to try to catch any deer who might stop by the hosta bed in the back yard.
Then, at bedtime, I noticed that the motion detector light was on in the backyard.
This happens often and there is nothing there, but this time I got the treat of seeing a black bear sow and her two cubs meandering across the backyard.
When they heard me move the window the cubs scampered up a tree at the edge of the woods.
Had I not moved the trailcam, I would be posting photos here of those three.
But, instead you'll have to take my word for it.
It was fun to see them so close out the bedroom window, maybe 40 feet away, but a person does not want to mess with a sow and her cubs, it just isn't safe as the sow will always protect those cubs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails