Thursday, June 6, 2013

Next stop on the Sunday Drive

The Wisconsin DNR in collaboration with Ducks Unlimited as well as benevolent donors, have established many wetland areas in our state to provide habitat for waterfowl, plants, songbirds and whatever else in nature benefits from undisturbed wetlands.
I happened across one of these little pieces of paradise as I made my way along my Sunday drive.
Quaderers Creek is a very pretty spot.

There was a place to park and I grabbed my lawn chair and made myself at home.  I was hearing warblers and hoped to get a photograph.  The very nice part of visiting this spot on this day is that the bugs have not yet hatched.  I am sure in a few weeks, this will be well populated with biting insects.
My stay was fruitful in that I saw a Yellow Warbler.
Yellow Warblers have a wonderful song and look so pretty among the new oak leaves.
A nice day for turtles to catch some rays.  
I'm always interested in how turtles catch any little solid surface to perch to sit in the sun.

I also saw, but was unable to get a good photo of, a Belted Kingfisher.
I hope to go back to this spot and see if I might get lucky and get a better photo, 
but for now, here is the evidence.
Belted Kingfisher sitting on duck nest box.
I was sitting where I could see the road the bridged this water flow.
While I was sitting there, a pickup truck stopped, the driver got out with a bow that had a reel on it,
and he proceeded to shoot arrows from the bow down into the water.
Bow-fishing is newly legal here in Wisconsin.
I'm new to that idea, so have not decided what I think about it, or why you would do it, or?
But I do know that I think what the WDNR has done to preserve wetlands and forests and grasslands, etc for the future, that is priceless.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails