Monday, June 10, 2013

Saturday Safari

This week I took a drive on Saturday instead of Sunday.  
I had 3 baskets to deliver for an upcoming benefit for Shelly Skow.  I needed to drop them off in Frederic.
Chocolate Lovers Longeberger Basket
Wine Lovers Basket
Tea Lovers Basket
Once I dropped those baskets off, I stopped at Gus and Lois's and dug up a bunch of perennials that Lois was wanting to get rid of.   Tiger lily, iris, and others.  On my way home, I decided to take a Saturday Safari through a new state park near Luck.  Straight Lake State Park is pretty new and not very developed but it made for a pretty drive.
Along the way I saw some of the residents.
This big snapper looks like it came straight from the black lagoon.

I would estimate about 14" across the shell.  I did not get out of the car.  I have seen these snappers lunge at people and I have heard that they can snap a broomstick with their choppers.  I did bother him/her that she moved off the road.
 Further down the road I saw this deer coming out of the woods.  I braked, grabbed my camera and looked up to see this car coming.  It was close for this deer and driver.

Yikes!
But, the driver was alert and the deer made it out of harm's way.
Safe!
 A small lake with this pair of loons was on a gravel road.
I pulled over to watch and they actually came closer to me instead of fleeing.
I was delighted.
They are a nice couple.

They were diving and floating.

It was too cloudy to get a very good shot of the red eye.
As I was watching these beauties I saw another resident of the area.
It was an a$$hole (pardon my language) behind the wheel of a pick up truck going much to fast for that road.  But not everyone appreciates this beautiful countryside and wildlife like I do I guess.

A little further along my safari I came upon an airport.
Not much congestion on this day.
The last stop of my day was at this lake.
No motorized boats are allowed.
Probably not too many of those left around 
but good to know that there is a peaceful spot not far from home.

It was a good safari, and I'll be posting photos of all my plantings in a later entry.
Life is Good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails