Sunday, June 10, 2012

To Feed or Not to Feed

You might remember that some weeks ago, I had bears here every night messing with the bird feeders, so I took them all down and put them in the garage.  I have not seen a bear on the trail cam for well over a week.
So now, I have decided to put the feeders out during the day and take them in at night.
This is kind of a bother, but quite doable.
But recently I read an article talking about the pros and cons of feeding birds in the summer.
Among the pros and cons...one of the problems with summer feeding, is that juvenile birds might learn to eat from a feeder instead of from the groceries that are naturally in their environment.
Well, I decided I would put the feeders out anyway.
Wouldn't you know, this morning I was visited by a family of house finches, I believe it was 2 juvies and Dad.
Well, I hope that these two learn that my feeders are not their only food source,
so with a somewhat bothered conscience, I am going to continue to feed birds this summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails