Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer is here

Hot, windy, humid and stormy at night, that has been the story for the past few days.
I think the mosquitoes are busy hatching too as I had several bites after I did a walk around the yard last evening.
About 3 + inches of rain within the last 4-5 days, so no hand watering by me, that is nice.
This begonia is so pretty it almost hurts your eyes to look at it.
I rescued this guy from the Walgreen's flower rack and it looked pretty puny when I brought it home.
 The West side of my garage has several clumps of lilies that the past owners planted.
This year seems to be a banner year for them.
Garage lily

 When I bought my tomato plants this year, I got several that are patio plants.
Some had tomatoes already on them.
This is one of those early tomatoes and looks like I should be eating tomorrow or the next day.
I think I was brilliant to buy those plants with little tomatoes already on the vine.

I have started to learn about butterfly identification and I find that it is quite complicated.
First of all, you have to see the butterfly long enough to get a photo and then much of the ID is based on the back of their wings.
It is impressive how camouflaged they are in the closed position, as you can or can't see on this picture.
What butterfly?

So, here it is up close, but after spending about 30 minutes looking through my Butterflies of North America guide, I am still stumped as to the identity.  I guess I will head back out into the yard to try to see it flying and get a picture of the wings open.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails