Sunday, June 3, 2012

The summer of projects

I have been cranking out the projects this summer.   
Of course, last spring / summer I was still recovering from my broken wrist, so my productivity was low.  This year my yard is looking the best since I moved in here 
(I hope I didn't just jinx myself - please no hail storms).
Yesterday I built a free-standing trellis with the plans I found on Lowes.com.
It turned out okay although I would like it better with slightly shorter but wider dimensions, none the less, it will work for the grapes to grow on.
I just need to finalize the anchoring and then it is a done deal.
I also framed up a piece of lattice that was left over from the deck build a couple of years ago.
It will be a bean trellis now.
These flowering beans are the same variety that my grandmother, Frederikke, grew when my Dad was a kid.  He remembers them so well, found a plant and grew it at Gus's cabin 2 years ago.
He gave me one pod (4 seeds) last year and those 4 really produced.
This year I have flowering beans planted in about 5 locations in my yard, plus I shared seeds with Glenn's family & Gus's family.  So, Frederikke's beans are making a major comeback in our family.
Today I finished up a project that I started about a week ago.
I wanted to have a railing along the stairs to the garden area.
After our big rain about a week ago, I pounded in the post holders and today I cut the slants and added a railing.  All it needs now is a little stain, which I am headed out to do when I am done typing.
 Oh, it's not perfect, 
but one it is stained dark brown, 
it will look pretty nice and is plenty sturdy for step walkers.
My To-Do list is getting shorter all the time.
Other than a few small paint/stain projects, I am almost done outside.
Inside, there a couple of rooms waiting to be painted.
And there is always housework, but for now, I am just enjoying my yard.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails