Thursday, June 24, 2021

Note to self, keep an open mind

So a downside of living in a small town is that you don't always have the Medical Specialties available to you, as is well known. 

This morning I got a phone call that the orthopedic surgeon that I was supposed to see next Friday about my knee, would not be able to see me because he is, get this, retiring.  (Now, I would think an MD would plan ahead a little further than next week for retirement, but maybe there are circumstances that I am not privy to.)  

Anyway, that is that.

So, my other option is to see an orthopedic surgeon who comes up from Eau Claire occasionally to see patients. But the orthopedic PA that I saw told me that the Eau Claire doctor was very selective about who he would do knee replacements on and because I'm overweight, I likely would not be acceptable.  (Covid was not good for my eating and exercise habits, or lack of, so there's that.)

When they called me this morning and told me that the original appointment was canceled, they asked me if I wanted to see the Eau Claire doctor and I didn't really know what to do. But finally, I decided to go ahead and set up an appointment with him and I'll let him tell me what my options are. But of course I can't get in to see him until the end of July. 

So, now I will research with my insurance and see what other orthopedic surgeons are in their plan that are anywhere near this area. I might end up having to have the surgery in another town, which complicates everything, but is doable.  I have been doing all my doctoring in the Marshfield Clinic system, but my insurance does cover other providers, so the search is on.

The downside of small-town medicine. 

I'm going to ask around at Bridge and see who's-going-to-who for Ortho problems.  

This is a pretty major setback in terms of getting anything done for my knee, and, of course, my knee is not getting any better.   But a minor set back in the grand scheme.  

Wha wha wha.

After a few hours of thought, this might be a good thing.  A  new, younger, ortho might have some new treatment ideas too.  I am very open to the new plan.

🏥🏥🏥

This Spring as I was working out what plants I wanted to put where, I almost tossed a series of 6 small pots that hang together on the front porch.  I have never been very successful in growing anything in those little pots and thought I might just be done with them.  But then, I was at the greenhouse, and saw herbs, and thought maybe I should give those a try in the little pots.

Now I have a wonderful little herb garden and I could not be happier.  The herbs were nearly gone from the greenhouse shelves before I hatched this plan, so next year I will select a little different variety.  

Basil

Cilantro

Lemon Balm

Thyme

A second Lemon Balm

I also planted Catnip, which is doing well too.  Forgot to snap a photo I guess.
So, note to self, be creative and be open to new ideas.
I planted Morning Glory seeds in my hanging pots again.  They are coming along.
I like this idea of planting seeds rather than buying a pot that is already in bloom that will be hard to keep healthy for the whole summer.  This way, I get to watch the seeds grow and hopefully will be enjoying the flowers by mid summer.
Morning Glory

Now, this might be my favorite planting of the year.  Again, I thought I might toss out this tower planter, it is kind of odd and I have never had great success with planting in it.  Talking with Mary one day, she mentioned how much she likes Coleus, so I grabbed some and loaded up this tower.  Now, it is my favorite planting in the yard.  Such diversity of color and texture and it is all going great guns in the tower.  

I'm getting my new phone today, according to FedEx text messages.  It will be fun to have a new toy.  Always takes some time to switch over but I'm pumped.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails