Saturday, June 7, 2014

One year later

On Friday, I took a run up to our cabin to pick up our generator which needs to go to the repair shop.  It was my first trip North this year and I was anxious to see the changes in the areas affected by the fire last May.  I was not disappointed.

It is amazing how different it all looks up there.
Lots of work has been done to remove the dead and burned trees, 
as you can see in the above comparison.


There are still many dead trees standing.


Much work has been done to take down the dead trees in some areas.

Panoramic view of Sand Road & Connors Meadow, facing West.
This used to be a stand of trees and now is open meadow.


I was really surprised and amazed at how different this corner looks now.
Our cabin had a lonely winter as the snow was just too deep for me to make a run up there.
We did have visitors there in April and May, WDNR folks who were doing a study on Sharp Tailed Grouse in the area.  This is at least the second year that we have housed these folks, and as usual they are very responsible in taking care of our cabin, and they left it neat as a pin.
It's really great security for us to have them staying there, as there have been break ins in the area.
'Rent' from the WDNR folks

More 'rent'.  These renters can come back next year for sure!
 The fire came pretty close to our cabin last year, and it looks to me like we have some trees to take down, I'm not sure if they have any firewood value at this stage, or not.
Inaugural trip for the new sled to the castle

Our generator box seems to be snack food for a porcupine.

On my way out of The Sandcastle, I spotted this pretty butterfly.
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail butterfly
It was a quick trip up to the Sandcastle, but as soon as we have a working generator again, I'm anxious to get back up there for a longer stay.  
It is easy to forget how peaceful, quiet and beautiful it is at the castle.
And one year after the destructive fire, Mother Nature has done a nice job of greening up the place.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails