Friday, May 8, 2020

Day 57 of Isolation

A couple of years ago I ran across a recipe for a homemade ice bag. I made one using Rubbing Alcohol and have used it hundreds of times since.  The beauty of this ice bag is that it freezes to a thick slush, which makes it mold-able and I have been able nicely to fit it on the sore joint with just an ace bandage.
  • Fill the plastic freezer bag with 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and 2 cups of water.
  • Try to get as much air out of the freezer bag before sealing it shut.
  • Place the bag and its contents inside a second freezer bag to contain any leakage.
  • Leave the bag in the freezer for at least an hour.

This ice bag is getting a little puny, I suppose it has leaked a little bit over the years.  
Now during the Covid-19 Pandemic, my left knee is causing me a lot of trouble.  
I had a Cortisone shot about 3 months ago, and that gave me 3 months of painless operation, but now, I'm back to needing something for that knee.  With Covid-19 restrictions, I have to wait for a while to be seen in person about the knee.  
So, I've been wishing I had another ice bag.  
I have looked for alcohol at Walgreens each time I visit there, 
but the shelf is empty and the clerk chuckled with I asked.

Chatting about it on the phone with Laila, I had a brainstorm.  Maybe I could use regular alcohol like bourbon, or tequila.  I thought it might be a good use of anything I might have in the liquor cabinet.  Then it dawned on me.  
Soju!
About 20 years ago, Coors pal Dick B. brought me a bottle of Soju from South Korea.(More about Soju at the bottom of this page.)  
I remember how it tasted like pure alcohol, 
and I knew I would never drink it, 
what a great solution.The Soju was in the liquor cabinet.The liquid is still crystal clear.




 

Coors was involved with Jinro for a few years, maybe they still are, not sure.I'm guessing that the "Gold" variety of their product was probably top of the line. 




Not sure what the toad logo means, 
but this bottle did make the 'hop' from South Korea to Colorado 
and then trekked on to Wisconsin. 




 I used about a 50/50 ratio or Soju to Water.Double bagged and put it in to freeze.




 By this morning, it was perfect.Hard slush freeze, making it malleable yet firm.



I am so pleased and I even have enough Soju left over to make another ice bag.
I just need more zip bags first.

What an excellent use of the Soju, all thanks to Dick B.
Cheers to my sore knee.


Since its launch in 1924,Jinro Soju (Spirits distilled from grain 13-24% ABV) has consistentlyheld its position as the number one soju brand in Koreawhile revolutionizing Korea’s drinking culture. Globally, Jinro Soju has beenthe world’s best-selling spirit brand for 17 consecutive years, outselling otherleading brands like Stolichnaya, Bacardi, and Johnnie Walker.*Jinro Soju has also earned numerous accolades in International SpiritsCompetition for its superb taste and quality. This success can be attributed tothe brand’s experience of nearly a century of spirit making artistry and thepassion for crafting a spirit from Korea’s finest natural resources: choicegrains and spring water.(*source: Drinks International's Millionaires' Club)
x

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails