Thursday, February 6, 2014

Where does it end

I enjoy remembering people's birthdays with a card or email greeting.  I've always sent cards (and gifts when they were young) to my nieces and nephews.  As they grew their own families, I started a tradition of sending a card with $5 enclosed to each great niece/nephew; birthday girl or boy.  It's not a lot of money, but for the little ones, it seems like a lot to spend; to the older ones, it might buy a Starbucks coffee.

The payback for me is huge.  
The kids almost always send a thank you note, below is a postcard I received recently from Milena, Ryan's youngest who shares the same birthday as I have.
Very sweet.
I remember that as my nieces and nephews got older, I had to decide when did the birthday presents end.  I think I stopped at 18 years of age.  It's long enough ago now, probably no one remembers any better than I do.  And, now that the great nieces and nephews are getting older, I wondered how long will I send the $5 in their birthday card.  I'm still not sure what the answer is, maybe 18 is a good guideline, but I've also decided that once the kids are starting their own families, the great great niece or nephew goes on the list and the Mom or Dad comes off.  It's complicated to know where it ends.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails