Sunday, February 16, 2014

Good kids

I recently saw a 'cartoon' on Facebook that said, 
"Everyone talks about leaving a better planet for our kids. 
We should also leave better kids for our planet."
My first reaction was to share that sentiment on my own timeline as a way to promote that idea, 
but then I thought about it.
And I thought, hey, you know, most of the people I know who are raising kids, 
are doing just that, leaving better kids for the future.
There really are a lot of good kids out there, but they don't always get much press.
Saturday, I spent the day watching Gage play basketball.  Jack and Gage are both good basketball players, but their personalities are very different, and that's a good thing.
When I think of Jack, I think of serious, somewhat shy, knowledgeable...let's make that smart, about sports (I keep saying he's the next Bob Costas), loves to win, willing to work hard, sports lover, starting to be a teenager but still a nice kid.
When I think of Gage, I think of a tender heart, more likely to need a push, not afraid to show sheer joy, outgoing and loves being part of a team, and having fun.
They are just young boys, but when you watch them on the basketball court, you see a side of them that I feel is pretty real.  They both will help a player up who is on the other team, both are very kind to littler kids, both are easily able to talk to adults and show respect; 
both know that to be a good sport means winning & losing with class.

A few photos from Gage's 3 games in Saturday, his team won all three.
Gage on defense, about to slap that ball
At the free throw line, he sinks most of them
Fun with black and white and focal color
Passing
Dribbling between the legs, for some reason this amuses and amazes me, I have never tried it but I know it takes practice.
Driving to the hoop
More D
Taking a fall, but he drew the foul
Guarding the inbound pass
Looking for his teammate 
Defense
More defense
Intense
Sticking with his man
Hustle
Shooting
Shot follow through
Shooting from the crowd
Ball handling
He just swished a 3!
Team
Another fun day in the bleachers.
I am a very lucky Great Aunt.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails