Monday, February 24, 2014

Notes

This is a note about notes.
A year or more ago, I read an article in the Rice Lake Chronotype that a Steinway piano had been donated to the University of Wisconsin - Barron County Campus here in Rice Lake.  The piano, built in 1891, needed restoration and repair and an effort had begun to raise the necessary funding.
I decided right away that I wanted to support this project.
Donation recognition was cleverly set as follows:
$100-$199 ~ White Key
$200-$1999 ~ Black Key 
$2000-$4999 ~ Chord
$5000 ~ Pedal
I decided to contribute at the White Key level.  
As result, my name was to be listed on a permanent plaque at the University.
(My many years of fund raising experience for United Way at Coors gives me a good understanding of how much work goes into not only raising the needed money, but also the proper recognition of donors as well as planning an event of this importance.)

Even the tickets were lovely and a nice item for the scrapbook (or blog)
To celebrate the completion of the restoration of piano #70299, a concert was planned and donors were given a ticket to attend both the concert and a reception following.
The concert would be performed by Namji Kim on the piano and Aurelien Petillot on the viola.  Both artists are also professors at the University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire.
So, on a cold Wisconsin night, we headed to the Fine Arts Center to celebrate a piano.
The concert was fabulous and the piano spectacular.
Number 70299 ready and waiting
At the completion of the concert, 
we were invited to come on stage to have a close up look at the beautiful piano.
(Regrettably, I only had my cellphone for photographs.)

This piano has only 85 keys, rather than the normal 88.

The Steinway logo is true to the era that it was built.

The gleaming pedals stood out in the stage lights, as did the turned legs.

The sound board, hammers and strings are something to see, really beautiful.
The donors were enthusiastic about getting to be closer to the Steinway

Friends Peter & Carol Kramer had a visit with Namji Kim, finding some common ground in Korean experience.
I had one moment of concern when I opened the program for the evening's festivities and saw my name listed with the other donors...
I started wondering if it would be better to tell them about the error,
or just change my name to Wand.

At the gala reception, champagne and cake was served.
The musicians were circulating and visiting with the crowd.
And the citation plaque was well placed for viewing.
It was a wonderful evening.
This citation was a work of art in itself.
And as you can see when I zoom in, there is no need to change my name.

The music played was composed in the era that piano was built.
Our evening was delightful, the notes were many and beautiful, and the weather forgotten, as we listened.


Here is the story of the piano from the concert program.
I expect that this piano will be making beautiful sounds for the next 100 years.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails