Sunday, February 23, 2014

Searching for Swans

On Tuesday, after KJ and I had taken lots of photos of the swans in the St. Croix River, we decided to go in search of more swans.  Clear Lake is open now and since there are usually swans there, 
we decided to go take a look.
Unlike the St. Croix River area, Clear Lake does not have nice easy access to getting close to the open water.  Someone had been there and blazed a trail but it had been snowed over since then.  We gave it a try.
The snow was deep, footing very tricky, I kept sinking up to my butt. 
As soon as I started heading to the lakeshore, the swans headed our way, telling me that they had been fed before from someone who had made the same trek.

Kathy tried to see if she could get closer by taking the higher path.
Finally she joined me on the lower path.

Three swans a swimming.

Moving in for a snack

The water had an interesting texture of ripples.
  The topic of feeding animals is always debatable.  I can see both side of this discussion.
On this day, Kathy had some corn along to throw out for the geese and they liked it!
To be helpful, I offered to toss the corn so Kathy could be camera ready,
but that didn't work out.
Next time, she won't let me hold the corn!
As soon as she handed the baggie of corn to me, I managed to turn the bag upside down and instantly dumped all of the corn into the deep snow.
So, that ended any controversy about feeding the swans for that visit.

Swans after the corn
The trumpeter swans were well worth the search.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails