Friday, May 17, 2019

Not really blue

I just read an article about Indigo Bunting and Bluebird feathers.  The feathers are not blue in color but constructed in such a way that the light reflects the blue color to our eyes.

"There actually is no such thing as a blue bird. ... “Blue is different―no bird species can make blue from pigments. The color blue that we see on a bird is created by the way light waves interact with the feathers and their arrangement of protein molecules, called keratin."

This pretty bird didn't stay long, so I just got one quick photo from inside the living room.
Indigo Bunting
I love this time of year, the migration brings birds to the yard that don't stay long, but provide a lot of excitement to the homeowner.

***

Last year I planted a Hops plant at the bottom of an old ladder.
The ladder was once owned by Ray Stoklasa, and I bought it from his wife Ruby at her moving sale for $3.  I leaned it up on a number of trees in the yard, leaving it there for a day or two to decide it fi liked it.  Finally I settled on a spot where I thought hops would grow.
My neighbor Dave caught me by the mailbox and asked what I was doing climbing all those trees on that old ladder.  It's good to keep the neighbors wondering what I am up to.
Well, the only think climbing this old ladders is a hop vine, 
and it looks like it is a good year for hops.


I have 1, and only 1, Trillium that blooms in my woods every year. 
She's a beauty and I'm thankful for her annual return to my corner of the world.

Life is good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails