Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oh my aching harp!

Who knew it would be so tedious to get into the harp playing business?  
I can see why I love piano, you sit, you play, no strings to break, no tuning required (especially with an electronic keyboard), easy to play in any key - just hit a sharp or a flat when needed....
but a harp, not so easy.
I got started tuning Kaija's lovely Celtic Harp yesterday.
  I got about 3/4 finished and took a break and shortly after heard a twang and snap and saw that one of the strings had snapped.  That made me wonder if I should be replacing all the strings or what is the protocol.  So, today I spent lots of time surfing the internet looking for people to sell harp supplies, talking to some on the phone, prying information out of Glenn's brain about where the harp came from and where to buy strings.  In the end, I got the harp almost in tune, missing one string, but enough that I could try to play a simple tune of Happy Birthday.  I also got one replacement string ordered and then later, ordered a complete set of strings after getting advice from the harp maker.  Evidently harp strings have a life cycle of about 3 years.  So, more work to do before I get started for real, like learning how to put new strings on a harp, but this is planned as a winter project anyway.  I am also waiting for the harp teacher to send me a few sheets of simple music to practice.
My piano need not worry that I will give it up, but the harp will be a fun challenge.
***
I have not been checking my trail cam daily as there was nothing to report for a few weeks.
Today I brought the memory card in and was delighted to see this guy on film.
 You can see the spotlight was on him that was activated by his motion.
I woke up shortly after this, saw the light on and looked out in the backyard, but he was gone by then.
Sure would have been fun to see him in real life, but at least he posed for a few photos.
I hope he comes back again soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails