Saturday, May 11, 2013

Crex Meadows on a sunny day

I had heard from a friend about some yellow headed blackbirds living in a swamp near Crex Meadows, so decided to make a day of it.
I found the blackbirds, their voices are loud and they are gorgeous.

From that swamp, I continued into The Crex Meadows Wildlife Area.
 A group of Coots were fun to watch as them took off by walking on water on Phantom Lake.

Crex was full of warblers, some I had never seen before.
Palm Warbler
Palm Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler = Butter Butt
Butter Butt
There were many, many of these yellow rumped warblers, and they would launch off these twigs, swoop around catching the bugs and land again.  It was very entertaining to watch.

I'm not sure who this guy is, but he was loving these little bugs.
These little bugs were not biting, but they were flying into my nose and mouth.
Lunch for the birdies I guess.
Another 'to be identified' 
A very pretty day at Crex

Geese are nesting

I took the Phantom Trail road, lovely but sketchy if you meet a car (I didn't)
I decided to go back home via Luck, so drove past the swamp with the yellow headed blackbirds again.
There are also many red winged blackbirds there and I caught these two fighting in air.
Wish it could have focused better, but it all happened pretty fast.

More ducks, working on nesting.
It was a good trip to Crex, can't wait to get back over there when the wildflowers start to bloom.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails