Thursday, May 9, 2013

2013 Planting

This year, I'm planting all of my tomato plants in large pots.  I've decided to give my raised bed a rest and see if the blight goes away or maybe it will just work better for other veggies.
So, this year I'm planting 3 Husky Cherry Tomato plants (a successful repeat of last year); 5 Celebrity tomato plants (a successful repeat from a couple of years ago) and all 8 plants will be in containers around the house and driveway.  I'm also trying out a watering tray that claims to cut down on blight, overwatering and weeds.  It controls how the water is dispersed around the plant roots.
The idea is logical, we'll see if it turns out to be practical.
I have also read that having the color red close to your tomato plants helps the fruit ripen faster, 
again, this is strictly experimental!

Last year I tried some of the flowering beans, made famous by my grandmother Frederikke,  in these pots.  They did fine except that there wasn't really a lot of sun in the location on the East side of the garage, so this year, I'm trying them on the front deck which faces South East.  I'm hoping they will thrive in this location and give some interesting color to the front deck as a bonus.
Frederikke's Beans
I'm trying to add a couple of hanging plants on the bird feeder stand this year.
I think the hummingbirds will like these pink petunias, but...
this is strictly experimental, as most of you know, the bears like to knock this unit down, the raccoons like the climb up the pole, just like Mr. Squirrel is doing in this photo.

My perennials are either very late or not coming, 
with the exception of this grouping of daffodils near the front door.
The daffodils I planted last fall are just barely showing the tips of their leaves and some of my hostas are just starting to show a glimmer of hope of growth.
But there are also several plants, including my grape, that are still looking dormant or maybe dead.
Time will tell.
A nice spring rain last night and most of today has greened up the grass.
Maybe if the weather is sunny and warm for a couple of days, more life will start to show.
Spring is always strictly experimental I guess.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails