Sunday, April 8, 2018

Old stuff

I've had trouble with the tv in my bedroom for about a year.  It comes on but goes through a series of 5 - 25 cycling of power, sometimes accompanied by loud screeching noises, sometimes not, before the picture would normalize and I could watch TV.  I had shopped for a new one, but didn't really want to spend the money.  Plus, I would forget all about it during the day and then only to be reminded of the problem on those nights I wanted to watch TV in bed.  I think it was getting worse, slowly.  Finally, on Friday night, I had my fill and it dawned me that I could easily move the little TV from the guest room into my bedroom and have the problem solved at no expense.
So, I moved the TV to the bedroom dresser until Saturday, when I took down the old TV  was mounted on the wall with one of those big brackets and 4 lag bolts.
Obviously, I'll have to touch up the paint. 

I had a small shelf that I thought might work for the TV, but it was way too small so I was about to go on Amazon to see what was available.  
Then I remembered an antique shelf that I've had for years and years that I think my grandfather had made to hold a mantel clock that he and grandmother had received as a wedding present.
Here's the clock.
 After some searchingk, I located the old shelf and sure enough, it was just what I needed.

Nothing fancy, made from plywood and nails and even a little bit rickety, 
but strong enough for what I needed.
I was able to match up the holes in the shelf to safely mount it using the lag bolts.
Of course, I will have to touch up the paint, but I found the paint can and just need a brush to do that little bit of work.


I'm pleased to have this little shelf in use again.
I can't really guess when Grandfather Ansgar might have made this shelf, if in fact he did make it.  
They were married 02.24.1914.
So, maybe it is 100 years old.
At any rate, now I'll think of Ansgar and Frederikke every time I look at that shelf.

Old stuff is cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails