Sunday, April 29, 2018

At long last

I pieced the quilt top in 2013.
It hung in the closet until last Fall when I took it to the long arm quilter.
While at quilt camp, I prepared the binding.  I had hoped to sew it on there, 
but it was tight quarters.

Today, I took the final steps to finish the quilt.


Sewing on the binding, on the back and then I'll top stitch it on the front.
Many quilters hand stitch the binding, but that's not for me.
I like the look of top stitching.


These little clips are 'the bomb' when working with binding.



I got about 1/2 done and had to break to run to Owen's piano recital.
More about that later.

Muscling this big quilt in a small space is not my favorite thing,
but it got done.

The inspiration for this quilt was a set of original paintings by a friend in Maui.
These are sights you can see on the Island.

The artist's description: Here I’ve tried to capture a perfect beach day. The south shores of Maui are ideal for sunbathing and playing in the waves. This picture highlights the perfect blues you can see looking out from Kihei and Makena, under a bright sky with just a touch of soft clouds. I’ve used my favorite ocean colors, Prussian Blue, Deep Turquoise, and some Cobalt Teal. This is a fun memento of a sunny day at the beach.

The quilting stitch was made to look like waves in a pool of water.

 My idea was from the top of the bed, the sandy beach, the water gets deeper as
do the colors until reaching the deep blue sea.

At long last, I couldn't be happier.

Life is good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails