Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Video conversion can suck up a whole day

Recently, I've been going through a surge of organizing, purging and cleaning.  Along the way, I ran across a stack of old DVDs of home movies from about 25 years ago.  We used to gather at Gus & Lois's cabin in The Barrens, near Cushing, WI over the New Year holiday.  Some years we exchanged names and did homemade gifts.  Everyone wanted Grandpa to get their name, and over the years we each ended up with a jewelry box or bullet box.  
A few years we really got busy on a theme.  One year it was the Olympics, and we had silly events out in the snow and an awards ceremony on a brisk January morning.  There was a Star Search year with lots of lip syncing performances.  I have lots of video of those two years.  
It has always been in the back of my mind that I hated to see those videos be lost over the years.  I have the original DVDs that I had made from the VSH tapes, that I made from the video camera.  I had a Sony HandyCam, which was a good home video camera back in the '80s.  I labored hour after hour to 'edit' my final editions of the videos.  Then I worked to make VHS copies for the families, and more recently I had DVDs made.  Today, I was able to covert those videos into a format that allowed me to upload it to my channel on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/user/luckywjo is my YouTube channel, and I've not stored those movies so that they are easy access for any of the family to see.  In a funny way, that takes the pressure off of me as historian of those films.  
I also came across a couple of Seabee related videos with Dad in them.  Now they are on YouTube as well.

It is awesome technology that these films can be pretty easily converted, and it only really takes a few clicks, but like most things that only take a few clicks, my whole day got sucked up before the job was done.
Life is Good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails