Monday, January 6, 2014

Closed

All Minnesota schools were closed by their Governor today, tomorrow each school district decides, and many have announced closures.  Western Wisconsin was mostly shutdown today and already tomorrow's closings are being announce.  The kids are getting some time off, but many of these schools end up having to make up days in June, and by then the fun of a day off is long forgotten I'm afraid. 

Very few icicles on the house, no melting, too cold.
 I support the closure of schools and public buildings on days like this.  I believe that the less folks who are out, the less folks who will end up in a serious situation involving the cold.  Our emergency folks are busy enough with calls when the weather is so severe, so if staying home lessens those calls, I'm all for it.  I have been home since Friday, and that's just fine with me.  Normally I tutor a student in reading on Tuesdays, but I cancelled that meeting so I can spend another day at home, safe and warm.  The weather people say we should warm up by Weds and Thursday, hurrah!
A friend reminded me today that I chose to live here in Wisconsin.  And it is true, I did, and I do love it.  So, while I'm not crazy about this extreme cold, I'm not really complaining, afterall, I have a warm house and no need to be out in the elements.


It is great niece Milli's birthday today.  She turns 6 and was looking forward to taking cupcakes to school to celebrate.  This summer I met up with Milli and her sisters and grandparents at Erickson's flower gardens.  Milli is a budding artist and captured one of the flowers in a pastel.
She's a delightful little girl.
The bird feeders were busy here today.
A flock of about 20 goldfinch were coming and going to the feeders.
They really puff up their feathers to help insulate their little bodies.
Gold finch grabs a seed.

The Red Breasted Nuthatch has been a good photo subject for me this winter.
Here is tasting the suet in the bag.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails