Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Heavy Chevy

I don't think I have any photos of my first car.
I was in college in Eau Claire, went up to Luck for the weekend and Gus told me he had bought me a car.
I had no money, I mean NO money.  He paid $100 and I had to make payments to him to pay it off.
He helped me get some insurance and from then on, I was a car owner.
Previous to that, I was a bicycle owner.
The car was a 10 year old 1962 Chevy Impala, pale puke metallic green and it had been t-boned so the passenger door had a pretty good dent.  But it ran fine and I got around.  It had a running light in the middle of the front grill, kind of a cyclops deal.  It was kind of a boat, so I called it my heavy chevy.
I drove that car for about 5 years and then sold it to a high school kid for $100.  He was thrilled to have it and I was glad to sell it.
Today, my Vibe had to be in the dealership for some recall work. I was given a courtesy car to drive home.  
It was a 2013 Chevy Impala.  
40 years later, it's still kind of a boat, but I got around okay for the day.
I hadn't thought about my heavy Chevy for years until this morning.
Life is Good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails