Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Knit and Purl

Growing up, my Mom was constantly knitting or sewing.  I remember her buying yard that came in a skein and she would have me roll the yarn in to a ball for easier use while she knit.  I can remember that she knit sweaters for herself mostly.  She wore them to work, must have been drafty in her office.  Thinking back, it seems like the pattern was the same but each sweater a different color of yarn.  As a novice knitter, I can imagine that she learned a pattern, it fit & she thought it was easy enough and stuck with it.

I have been a knitter sporadically over the years.  Right now I am knitting a few things.  I've made several scarves this winter, and I started a baby blanket for my new great great niece, Alaina.  I got about 1/2 of the little blanket finished, decided I didn't like it and put it aside.  Meanwhile, I started a little hat to match the blanket, then decided I didn't like it either, and so now it is set aside.  I had enough yard to start a new baby blanket, I'm pleased with the results but am only about 1/4 of the way to finishing.  I'm not too worried about finishing quickly as it is a lighter weight and won't really be used much until the weather is MUCH warmer.

Knitting gives a person time to think.
  While I have been sitting here working away, I started to think about a retirement gift I was given by Coors friends Fateh & Hilary.  It was a fun package with 3 skeins of washable wool yard and some other treats.  The more I thought about it, the more I wondered where that yarn had been stored.  After a couple of weeks, I finally tracked down a basket of knitting supplies and found the special yarn.  
But then what...
I've been wearing scarves more and more and decided to make a tri-colored scarf out of this special yarn.  I am happy to report, I finished the knitting today.  I made it a fun project and tried out several different decorative stitch patterns.  The internet makes finding and learning new stitches so easy.  YouTube is full of instructional videos on how to complete the different stitches and the webpages are many that have lists of projects and ideas.  So, my scarf is tri-colored with many patterns.  
I'm quite pleased with the results and even though it took me 6 years to use this yarn, 
it is a wonderful reminder of friends in Colorado.
Now that this project is done, I better get back to working on that baby blanket, and making up my mind about finishing the little hat as well!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails