Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Payoff

If you read my ramblings here often, you already know that I love Thank You notes.  I love to receive them and I love to send them.  In my career at Coors, I received more than one, hand written note from the President of the Coors Brewing Company.  It meant more than money to me, not that I wouldn't have taken more money, mind you.  Recognition was something that Coors tried hard to build into their culture.  I'm not sure it was an across the board success, but for many of us in management, it reminded us to take time to recognize our employees, not just for above and beyond the call of duty work, but for the daily grind as well.  I remember having quite a discussion with one of my peers about saying thank you to one of the crew for doing their job.  My stand was that it cost me nothing to say thank you, whether it was something the employee was expected to do or not.  Not everyone agreed with me.  
So, what does it have to do with today?
I have tried to impress on the young people in my family, that a note written is often very valuable to the person who receives it.
Here are two fine examples of Thank You notes that made me smile.
I suppose you could argue that when a young man receives a few bucks in a birthday card, that a thank you note is expected.   But I really love this one, not only did the $5 go to a savings account, it went STRAIGHT there.
I'm spoiled by how many of the great nieces and nephews send thank you notes after receiving their birthday card and $5.  I look forward to receiving the notes.  I see how they are growing up by the font in their writing, the words that they chose and how they sign their name.  Plus, I think it is a very excellent life skill. 

 I wouldn't say I am surprised by receiving these notes, 
but I was surprised to get this text message from my nephew last evening.
Like I mentioned in my last post, I spent some time converting and uploading some old videos to YouTube.   I sent the link out to all the nephews and nieces.
Late last night I got this text message.
Add caption
The Pay Off is sweet.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails