Monday, January 27, 2014

Good Old Fashioned Winter

Lots of people around here keep saying, well, this is an old fashioned winter.  
Oh yeah?  well the record keepers are telling us that we are setting records with some of this cold, so I'm not so sure that the memories of those who remember Old Fashioned Winters are that accurate.  
However, clothing was not as warm back in the olden days, so that might explain some of the discrepancy.  Snow fall might have been more, I'm not sure about those records.
 I do believe that the climate is changing with the impact of human behavior on the earth.  But when cars were less comfortable and clothing less insulated and boots not designed for below zero weather, I'm sure extreme winters seemed to be almost unbearable and were very memorable.  
One thing that has changed a lot, is that now when the weather is extreme, people cancel events, schools close, public buildings close and police encourage people to stay inside.  Attitudes about toughing it out in the cold weather have changed.  We are more aware of wind chill temperatures and the risks involved in exposure to extreme cold now, even though our attire is more suited to keep us warm.
So, whether the weather is an old fashioned winter or not, it's really making an impression on me.
I tried to take a quick panoramic photo with my phone from the mailbox, but the focus got frozen.
I'm getting a little nervous about how much snow is on the roof of the garage and house.
I might have to get out the snow rake, my least favorite winter job.

My gardens are well covered.
The lump on the left center is the top of my raised bed garden where I grew Grandma's beans.
The peony bushes I planted last fall are all around the fire number post, looks like they have about 2 feet of snow cover.

The snow pile is getting big, my plowman came and cleaned up the edges some today.
So, the winter might be like an old fashioned one, 
but the snow and cold are starting to wear down most all the locals.
The schools are closed again tomorrow, you hear both sides of the argument about whether the weather should be closing school so often.  Some folks say they never remember having any days off school due to cold weather when they were kids.  That is very possible, but IMO, that didn't make it right.
Coors drilled it into my head,  
SAFETY FIRST.  
Figure out the rest later.
So, I'll be having a safe day indoors tomorrow, as will many of the local school kids. 
I made a pot of Kale soup and I'm working on a knitting project.
Now that sounds like an old fashioned winter to me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails