Friday, July 19, 2013

Where do you draw the line?

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources encourages us to leave wildlife alone.  I'm trying.  Two fawns have been in my yard several times since their mother met her demise on the county road.   They are not very afraid of me, they drink out of the bird bath and lounge in the trees at the back of my yard.  Unfortunately, they also cross the county road.  I'm worried that they will get hit, this is a busy road.  So, I worry about them.  They are so cute.
This morning when I went out to water plants, they were in my yard down by the road and when I saw them head across the road, I ran for the house.  I don't want to witness an accident.
What to do?  Well, not really anything.  They are too big to catch and take to a rehab center.  That might have worked a couple of weeks ago, but that window is closed.  I don't want to encourage them to stay in my yard by putting corn out there, but I also don't want them to starve.
Where do you draw the line?
I want to be a good steward of our earth and all that live on it, but there is also a time to let Mother Nature take the course that has been set.
So for now, I'll keep the bird bath full.  I'll watch for the deer on the road and 'shoo' them into the yard when possible.  I'll snap as many photographs as I can get.  And I'll trust nature to do what is best.
This morning 2 fawns were in my yard, this afternoon I only saw one.
I think this is the larger of the two, more skittish.
Impossible to not get attached to these two when I've seen them so often.
                                                               But it won't be easy.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails