Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Trail Cam bites the dust

I have had my trail cam for about 3 years and almost everyday, I pull the SD card and check the photos from the night before.  
I enjoy seeing what animals travel through my backyard while the kitties and I are asleep.
Recently, it started acting very strange.  
The nighttime photos are okay, but the daytime photos are in pink and bright white.  
I have tried as much troubleshooting as I can think of...new batteries, reset to factory settings, etc...but it keeps shooting in those odd colors.  I called Bushnell to arrange to send it in for repairs and was told that that model is no longer produced and they don't repair it.  I was offered a 30-40% discount on a new Trail Camera from their website instead of the repair.  
So, what to do.  
I started researching new trail cams, there are some with WiFi capability that will email the photos as they are taken.  This appeals to me, but I didn't find enough information to decide to buy it.  I think that technology needs some time in a trail cam as right now they are too expensive for a 'toy'.  Maybe I should be looking at webcam surveillance equipment, but I need to do a lot more research on that idea before I spend any money and time on it.
So, I'm going to replace with a cheaper version that will still be a big improvement over my current model.  
It is ordered and soon we should be back in business.
In the meantime, I put the old trail cam out yesterday (with yet another set of new batteries in it - hoping that I might fix it).  I had not seen the fawns since Sunday, so I was glad to look at the pictures today and see one of the babies at the birdbath.
At least one of the fawns was here this morning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails