Saturday, July 20, 2013

Remembrance Lily

My friends, Gary & Mary Erickson, have created a memorial flower yard in honor of their son who died in an auto accident some years ago.  They were generous to give me 6 clumps of lilies out of their lily beds.  And this week the action started as they are beginning to bloom.
I've numbered them from West to East, to keep track of which is which.
I'm planning to add 3 more clumps next spring, if the weather cooperates.
Lily 1, no quite ready to show off
Lily 2, the first to shine
Lily 3 looks a lot like 2 and was just a couple of days behind it's look a like.
Lily 4 is loaded with buds but yet to show any blooms.
Lily 5 is a delicate lemonade color

Lily 6 was early to show up and is the most colorful showing contrasting dark fuchsia, light pink and even some yellow.
I am grateful for these lily plants and although I never met their son, I feel good about extending the Erickson Memorial Gardens to my yard here in Rice Lake.
-8-8-8-8-8-
I have had good success with a patio pot of flowers that I picked up early this spring.
These petunias are called 'black petunias' and in person they look much blacker than what they photograph.
Unusual and doing well, even with the heat.

The caretaker at the nursery told me that these cherry tomatoes, grown in containers, would be the size of golf balls.  Well, that isn't exactly correct, but they branches are so loaded with fruit that I am working on ways to support them until all the tomatoes are ripe and picked.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails