Sunday, September 30, 2012

Gordon Fire Tower Trip

Saturday I took off with my camera and a cooler and headed North.  My intent was to climb the fire watch tower in Gordon.  I had started up this tower on Wednesday but got wobbly knees so chickened out.
My first stop was the Red Cedar River right up the road from where I live.
Red Cedar River
The trip North was really colorful.
Driving North on Highway 53
Once I got to the tower, I put on my camera bag backpack and started up the steps.
I counted 18 steps between landings and stopped at the 5th landing.
I am guessing I was about 60 feet from the ground and the tower is located on a ridge, so I was far above these trees below.
Looking North from platform #5, Fire Watch Tower, Gordon ,WI
 I had not really thought about seeing any birds on this trip, it was mostly about the fall color.
Then I saw a little bit of bright white off to my right.
This guy was perched in a spot that was almost out of my view.
Patience is easy for an eagle
I waited for almost an hour before he flew off.

This was pretty exciting, I have never been higher than an eagle before.
I was pretty excited, happy I could remember to click the shutter button.
Heading West

Off he went
Out to the West, this guy teamed up with a pal, and the two of them came back and did a fly over.

Nice bank turn
Downtown Gordon, WI
St. Croix River Flowage West of Gordon
Steps back down to terra firma
A little closer on these pointy pines and bright colors
I wonder what is in these cars.  The hopper cars could be barley or malt I suppose.
View East from tower
 From the tower, I went West on County Road Y, to the Gordon Dam.

 Nice park and fun that you can walk out on the dam.
There were two fishermen there, but I saw no catches.
Red sled at Gordon Dam parking lot
The road out of the Gordon Dam Park area.
I stopped at the Sandcastle to switch the memory cards on my trail cam, 
then took a new route home on County Road G.
This pretty girl was standing on a side road, and patiently waited for me to stop, back up and snap her portrait.
 Lots of buzz about Harvest Moon this week.
I was heading South and saw this "moon over fall trees over water" and had to stop.
The sun was hitting the trees as the moon was rising.
And the reflection on the water was a bonus.
 It was a very nice day and I enjoyed spending the time with only my camera.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails