Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Florence

Florence Skow was my sister in law's Mother.
 She was one of the nicest people I've ever met. 
Her skills as a crochet artist were second to none!  I'm not sure how many doilies and table cloths and Lord's Prayers and Angel tree toppers and.... she made in her lifetime, but it was in the high numbers. I personally can see 10 doilies in my house, used as valances over the living room and kitchen windows. 
Today I added another. 
Florence made this table cloth for me years ago, I've used it as that, and a Christmas Tree skirt and it's been in a drawer for a long time.  Recently I had an idea that it might look nice hanging from a quilt rack on the wall of my bedroom. 
So, I started the search. One night, when I couldn't sleep, I was digging through closets at 3am trying to find this table cloth but was unsuccessful. 
Today, I continued my search.  
I filled 4 bags for Goodwill along the way, and found the cloth in the first place I had looked, but had somehow missed it. 
I love how it looks in my bedroom, it is perfect.
Thank you Florence, your legacy lives on.

And...the rest of the story.  I posted this on Tuesday but I wasn't thrilled with the quilt rack holding the tablecloth.  It wasn't really wide enough.
So, I noodled on it and did some shopping on line, but couldn't find a 48" rack.
So, I decided I had to create something.
I picked up a 48" piece of welding rod at Menards, wiped off the grease and wrapped it with some fabric.  Then I remembered that I had found 2 glass door knobs during the garage cleaning.
I had save those from my house in Arvada.
The big joke when I bought my Arvada house was telling Dad I didn't know much about the house when I made the offer, but I knew it had glass door knobs.
Okay, so the door knobs became the finials on my rod.



So, there it is, the rest of the story, and I like the ending.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails