Saturday, May 10, 2014

Two concerts and one play

My friends, the Kramers, and I  had a busy May with two concerts in Eau Claire and one play in Rice Lake. 
The Chippewa Valley Jazz Orchestra concert was based on music by Jazz legend, Stan Kenton.  The crowd was small but the music was fantastic.  It was prom, graduation, and Mother's Day weekend, so I suppose people had other commitments, but I'm glad I didn't miss this great concert at The Historic State Theater in downtown Eau Claire.

The following weekend was the season finale concert of the Chippewa Valley Symphonic Orchestra.
The music chosen was the last written by the composers of note.
We so enjoy the conductor, Nabuyoshi Yasuda.  He was especially chatty this night as he shared the story behind the music & the composers.  His sense of humor is quite delightful.
The first half of the program was enjoyable, but the Strauss and Bartok music was my favorite.
The guest soprano is a woman we have heard before, she is on staff at UWEC, and she has a beautiful voice.  I also loved reading the translation of the Strauss words.
I think this might have been my favorite concert of the 2013-14 season.
+++++
We also attended the first play of the 2014-15 season at Northern Star Theater in Rice Lake.
The play was Barefoot in the Park.
I enjoyed it and the small cast did a great job.
I am so thankful for community theater and all the work that goes on to present such a professional performance for such a small ticket price.
Our next play at NSTC is Les Miserables, which I am very much looking forward to.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails