Thursday, May 29, 2014

Planting and Mowing

Memorial Day weekend was spent planting annuals and a few perennials around the yard.  The weather was warm and sunny and it was a joy to be outside in shorts and tank top!
This year I bought some of my plants at an Amish greenhouse just West of Chetek, WI.
Mr. Miller's plants were reasonable and lovely, next year I'll get there soon after they open, as I can see that his greenhouse is popular and he sells the best quickly.
Just planted pots hanging on the deck rail contain mini-tunias (Mr. Miller calls them 'Callies').
Being at his greenhouse, which is near his farmhouse, and seeing his simple lifestyle, has stirred up my curiosity about the Amish and how they manage.  Several farms in the area are owned by Amish. 
One day, driving down the country road in that area, I saw two of the largest corn pickers I have ever seen in one field and in the adjacent field, a farmer was plowing with a team of horses.  The contrast was striking.  As usual, my first reaction was to grab the camera, but then remembering to be mindful of the Amish wishes, I put it down again.
Near Mr. Miller's greenhouse, I saw a young girl, with a reel mower, in the deep grass in the ditch, working away to cut some of the tall grass.  She was in traditional dress on a hot sunny day, and waved to me ever so cheerfully.
Laila and I have had some interesting chats as we Google about how the Amish live & manage their communities.  It's impossible to imagine a life without electricity, and to never have had it, not ever.
The Amish aim to be simple in their ways without any flair or attention bringing actions.
Basing their lives firmly on their religious beliefs, they manage to be craftsmen, farmers and gardeners with success.  They do not push their religion on others, I see no religious ornamentation in their places of business.  There was a sign on the wall of the greenouse that said "We will be closed on 5/29, Ascension Day, a holiday for us".  It seems to me that they mind their own business.  I'm not sure how they store their food, manage to water plants in the greenhouse, heat the greenhouse in the colder months, or accomplish all the other chores of living and it is intriguing.
The internet offers a lot of information about Amish, and TV has sensationalized some aspects of some Amish folks, but being in his greenhouse has opened my mind to want to understand more.
The day to day life must be challenging for all who live in the Amish lifestyle, but in some ways, they have it made.  Living with limited access to the news of the world might not be such a bad thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails