Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Big Dude

This morning I caught a glimpse of a pileated woodpecker in my backyard.  He acted like he wanted to drill on an old stump and I hope that he'll be back for another photo op.

He is not invited to drill on my live trees though.
If you've ever seen the damage these guys can do, you understand.
****
I'm really worried about one of my balsam fir trees.
This winter was really hard on pines in this area, many are looking like this tree.
3rd year balsam fir, will it live?
A conversation with the landscaper who planted the tree gave me a few tips.  I've already pounded in the tree fertilizer stakes, and if it gets dry, I'll be sure to keep this tree watered well.

All that said, I'm really worried about this tree, there are not many green needles, but there are some.
Mother Nature will decide, I'll do what I can do to help, but this is some of the fallout of the wicked winter we had this year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails