Thursday, April 17, 2014

A few birds on Tax Day

As I headed out to Eau Claire Tuesday morning, 
I got really excited when I thought I saw two large white birds at the cemetery.  

I scrambled to get my camera out and once I zoomed in could see that this piece of plastic was tricking my into seeing 2 birds.

After a day of appointments and shopping in Eau Claire on Tuesday, Tax Day, I stopped at Rice Lake to see what I could see.  There had a been a report on Facebook that the loons were back on the North end of the lake where the river comes in and the water was open.  
I didn't see any loons, but I got a look at a few others.
This Mallard looked kind of mad that he had to walk to get across the lake.

I didn't expect to see Sandhill Cranes
Canada Good and reflection makes for a pretty picture
I didn't see this heron until I spooked it & then I jumped when he started flapping his wings
Mr and Mrs Osprey on the DNR tower at the boat landing .

Mr. Osprey took off when I got a little too close.

This red winged blackbird was sitting on a nest, not his own, and I'm not sure why.
I do know he didn't like it when I got to close to him.
Speculation is that he was finding bugs to eat what were living in the old nest, but who knows.

It was fun to be out taking bird photos again and I hope that soon the weather will warm up and we can see the end of ice on the lakes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails