Sunday, August 23, 2020

164 days since March 12th

This time of year, the bees really move in on the Hummingbird Feeders.  From what I have observed, the Hummers are not interested in a fight, they just move on.  When I have seen bees bothering the Orioles at the jelly, I have actually seen an Oriole grab a bee in the beak and toss it out of the way.

I am keeping 2 small feeders going for the Hummingbirds, hoping if the bees are thick at one, they can get a slurp at the other.


"Silphium perfoliatum, the cup plant or cup-plant, is a species of flowering plant in the family Asteraceae, native to eastern and central North America. It is an erect herbaceous perennial with triangular toothed leaves, and daisy-like yellow composite flower heads in summer.
A coarse perennial, 3-6 ft. tall with numerous large, yellow composite flowers. Each flower head has 20-30 yellow rays and darker yellow disks. Stout leaves are joined at the square stem to form a small cup that holds water and attracts birds."

The flower just opened and shows you the cup that is formed at the base of the stem.
I dug this plant up in the yard of a photographer friend about 3 years ago. I came home with a carload of these plants but this is the only one that survived the transplant. It spreads via rhizome, so I'm hoping to baby it and get a patch of these to thrive under the bedroom window.


***

I updated the chalk on the driveway yesterday.
This industrial spray chalk is very much like paint, it doesn't wash off.
I might be looking at these messages in the spring.


✓✓✓

Today I am celebrating 10 years since reconnecting with my very close friend Mary.  I had moved to Wisconsin 2 years earlier.  Through the magic of Google, I had found Mary's address and wrote her a letter.  We had been close pals back in the 70's but then had lost touch for a many years.  Mary called me as soon as she got my letter and we planned a meet up in Ashland.  Dad & Ev wanted to meet some of their snowbird friends so we combined the trip.  We stayed at a quaint little motel right on the lake, with only about 10 rooms, each furnished with cabin type of old furniture and decor.  It was a great weekend.  Mary and I are in touch at least every other day on the phone now and by email in between.  I'm grateful for this friendship.

Peace.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails