Friday, December 1, 2017

Something new, and wine too

Learning new skills is supposed to help keep a brain healthy.  Last night, friend Carol and I, took a class to make a holiday sign.  It was really an interesting stenciling technique.  The class was at The Potter's Shed in Shell Lake, so we made an outing of it and had dinner at the Lakeview Bar & Grill beforehand.  A couple of big margaritas and we were ready to go!


We started with a nice pine board that had a hanger attached on the back.
Then we painted or stained it with the color of your choice.

Our stencil was precut, you can't see it in this photo, 
but this blue film has a laser cut design in it.

 The next step was to remove the film for all the parts that were to be painted.
This took some time for Carol's intricate design, but mine was pretty simple.


The next step was to apply the stencil to the wood.
This was a two part step which involved a layer of contact paper to hold the fine lines in place.

I guess I forgot to take a photo of my design once it was applied to the board.
This is how Carol's looked.

Now the painting began.
Using the colors of your choice.

This was the original pattern, I changed the background color.


Well, it didn't look like much at this stage, 
but we had to wait for our paint to dry for the big reveal.
Carol's trees in the drying room.

There were several designs to choose from and then each could be customized.
Here are the many waiting to dry.


Once dry, the big reveal as the stencil is peeled off.

I was delighted with my sign.
It's a fun way to capture my start in Wisconsin and I sure have planted a lot of trees.
And I thought it was a nod to the old Red Sled that I drove for years.

Some touch up was needed after the stencil was removed, on mine as well.
But mostly it was done.

 We had fun making our signs.
Did I mention there was a glass or two of wine and some cheese and crackers included?
A very fun evening.


Some of the students had already gone when we took the group photo.
You can see the variety of designs and color choices.
What a hoot!






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails