Saturday, December 23, 2017

Lille Jule Aften 2017

Good morning friends.


Today, 12/23, in Denmark is Lille Jule Aften, 
Little Christmas Eve.
  
A day to put something extra in the cat dish,  
extra seeds for the birds, 
and according to Danish tradition, a little extra rice in the dish for the Nisse.  
My Dad, in later years,  made it his night to enjoy a few cocktails and he had a list of people he would call on the phone. 
Heated bird bath cleaned & refilled.

Fresh suet logs and refilled feeders for my feathered friends.
This year, I'll be watching the Packers play the Vikings. 
I'll probably do the cocktail thing though. 

The cats are fascinated by the tree, well, really it is the tree skirt I think.
So far, the ornaments are all still on the tree.

Hops loves the tree & skirt.
Hey, a snowy owl!  The only one I've seen this year, so far.
The villagers take a beating nightly.  One or more are tipped over.
Barley just loves to be part of the village action, and it doesn't seem to bother her if she knocks over a figure or two.  One tree did have to be glued but it looks like new again.



It's cold this morning,  14°, but sunny.  
Great day for ice fishing peeps. 
Crunchy snow. 
My nephew Ryan has a pond behind his house that he clears for his daughters to skate on.  
He told me that this year the ice froze perfect & is very smooth.  

It's always a hot topic up here...how is the ice?  
If it gets snowed on or it gets too warm,  it can be a hard surface to navigate,  too smooth can also be rough for the fishermen.  My friend Bruce lives for ice fishing 
so I hear his evaluations of the ice on the many lakes he fishes.  

The other day when I was coming home from Luck,  I passed a lake with some people on the ice 
& it looked like they were stamping out a design.  I see on face book that they were stamping out a big "Merry Christmas BOB".  
One of the locals had died,  Bob, and this was their memorial.  
Pretty cool. 

So,  that's my ice story.  
I personally don't go on the ice but I'll put some I my cocktail glass. 

Happy Lille Jule Aften.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails