Saturday, August 19, 2017

Sewing Up North

The WITC (Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College) offers a number of adult education courses around the area.  One of my favorite topics is quilting.  My Luck school pal Mary & I and another sewing pal, Sharon have attended several of these.  On Friday, I met Mary & Sharon at the Community Center in Cornucopia for a day of sewing.

I drove Up North early Friday morning.  It is an easy drive, about 120 miles.  
Basically I drive North until I get to Lake Superior, then take a right.  
I stopped at a Wayside to get a look at the big lake.  I was surprised to see how red it was.  
The Iron River flows into the lake near this point and with all the recent rain, 
the lake was heavy with sediment.  



Regardless, Lake Superior has a commanding presence and I never tire of getting to see it.

Our friend Myrna was our instructor and the project was a Friendship Star Quilt.  When I was pre-reading the instructions I decided that I would make a runner instead of a quilt.  I have the perfect place for decorative runners on my bookcase/credenza in the living room.
Here is my finished (almost, just needs a backing & a binding) project.


Everyone else in the class chose to make the quilt.  It was far more complicated than this little runner, and was designed to be made using scraps.  Since I don't keep my scraps, my job was much easier, as I was cutting from new yardage.
That scrap work takes time, lots of evaluating color and sizes, pressing and then finally cutting before figuring out the layout and eventually sewing.
Several nice quilts were starting to come together before we called it a day.
Everyone had much more work to do before having a finished project, I was all smiles.
Mary's quilt is going to be a beauty, but she has a ways to do.

After sewing, I drove to Rick and Mary's house to spend the night.
On the way I drove through Washburn, a nice little town on the shore of Lake Gitchigoomie.
I tried to take some photos of the view
 as I drove into town from my dash mounted cell phone, but it was a fail.  
You'll just have to take my word that seeing Lake Superior in the distance is a sight to behold.

We ate dinner at The Four Corners Food & Spirits near Mason, WI.
I think it was the best fish I have ever eaten.  Their claim to fame is fresh fish from Lake Superior. 
I forgot to take a picture because I was busy eating the fish.

This morning I enjoyed a yummy breakfast by Mary and then headed towards home.
I ran a couple of errands on my way, stopping to pay the balance on my October Quilt Retreat and doing a wellness check on our Sandcastle cabin.

On the way I spotted an eagle, preening on a high branch.
I watched him for a little while.
He seemed to be soaking up the sun and cleaning up his tail feathers.

It was a fun trip Up North, but as always, it is nice to be home sweet home with the kitkats.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails