Friday, August 25, 2017

Fall Plantings

Yesterday I visited the big Farmer's Market at Country Lane Pantry.
This is a weekly Thursday afternoon trek for me when the weather is good.
Niece Camilla has a booth there selling second hand and embellished clothing, but I mostly go for the veggies.  Right now there are many to choose from.  I came home with a mess of fresh tomatoes, kale, spaghetti squash, cucumbers and the biggest carrots I have ever seen.  The farmer told me all the rain this year made for huge carrots.  I sliced one into chips when I got home and ate it with some hummus, it was delish!
There are all kind of vendors at this market, everything from homemade pottery to Tupperware, to bakery good to organic milk products and a whole bunch in between.  It's a fun way to get some steps and to see what folks are peddling.
On my way back to the car with my load of veggies, I stopped to look at some plants at one of the booths.  A local greenhouse brings out a bunch of stuff every week.  The sign said "let's make a deal, our last week at the market", so that suckered me in to looking.  She had some of the decorative grasses marked $12.99, but said they were $7 now, so I took home 2 of those.  They will be good additions to the ditch project.
Miscanthus sinensis "Purpurascens", or Maiden Grass.  
I plunked them in this ground this morning as it is supposed to rain today.  Next year this ditch project is going to look like something, I hope.

On Tuesday morning, the Hibiscus opened up one of its buds.
Oh baby baby, this is a beauty. There are a bunch more buds on the bush, I'm so excited about this addition to my yard.  I hope I can help it over the winter, I'm already making plans for putting it to bed properly.

We had a little problem at the cabin with the front door latch, so Glenn & I took a drive up there on Tuesday.  We also hauled the big wood box that Dad had made in about 2005 for Gus's Barren's cabin.  The new wood-box fit nicely by our stove and will hold a nice big supply of firewood.
Now it will be used and seen and protected forever.  I think Dad would be very pleased.


We fixed the door latches too (for now).
That cabin shifts around, half of it sits on jacks on the sand, so there is that.
Sometimes the front door bolts don't align with the holes in the strike plates and then the door won't lock and will barely stay closed.
So, we tried this fix of strike plates with larger holes for a little wiggle room.
It's good right now, we'll see what happens when the weather changes.

Glenn and I went to lunch after our hard work.
We met Rick Pomerleau & Mary Stenberg at the Y-Go-By Bar & Grill.
It was a good lunch of broasted chicken and a good visit with friend.
Rick and Glenn were big pals as kids as Rick was our neighbor (and cousin) out on County Trunk N.
It was a fun day, and beautiful weather for a drive Up North.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails