Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Volunteering

Eight years ago, when I worked my last day at the brewery, I really thought I would spend my retirement doing lots of volunteer work.  But, as it turns out, I'm just a little too protective of my time and find it difficult to commit to any recurring volunteer gigs.
I was asked a few years ago to help at an Academic Decathlon, it is one morning in January, really fun and it is the perfect volunteer opportunity!  This year was my 3rd or 4th year, and I look forward to next year.
I judged interviews.  Two judges ask the kids a set of prepared questions and then judge the kids on their responses as well as their manner of response.  It's not about the content but more about how well they answered the question, made eye contact, showed emotion / enthusiasm...you get the drift.
The kids are interesting and I really enjoy hearing their answers.  Their interests are varied and wide reaching.  I think teenagers get a bad rap sometimes, there are some really great kids out there.



Looking forward to next year's participants.

BTW, I am going to start back tutoring reading through the Barron County Literacy Council.
I'm trying to see the upside of making the commitment.

Image result for smiling faces

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails