Friday, January 15, 2016

Feeling pretty proud of myself today

I saw an idea for making a feral cat shelter out of a styrofoam cooler inside a Rubbermaid tote and decided I needed one.  I see little kitty tracks in the snow every time we get a dusting.  

So, my good friend Carol had received an Omaha Steaks shipment over Christmas, and she donated the styro cooler.  I had a big hinged lidded tote that I was using for packages from UPS / USPS, but that got re-purposed.
Through the wizardry of the Internet, I found the directions and some tips on how to easier cut the plastic tote and started on my project.
First step, using a hairdryer to heat up the plastic, cut a 6" hole for a kitty door.


Add caption
The cut a matching hole in the styro cooler.


Add some bedding inside the shelter 
and some more insulation outside the cooler to have a good fit inside the tote.



 Line up the two holes and add the cooler lid for a nice insulated and safe shelter.



Add a food dish inside the shelter.


Placed the shelter out on the front porch close to the building, 
and hopefully, in a warmer spot than most.
It is also easy access for me to check the food supply and the general tidiness of the shelter.

Plugged in the heated water dish, 


Re-labeled the tote so that the mail mistress doesn't try to put packages inside.

Now all I have left to do is move the trail cam out to the front porch 
so I can see who comes and goes into the shelter.  

Keep your fingers crossed that I don't end up with a family of skunks moving in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails