Saturday, March 16, 2013

No Rush

Lately a couple of things have happened that made me a bit cranky.  No big deal, but I figure it might be worth a minute to get it out of my system on this blog.
Why do we always have to be in such a big hurry?
A baseball game, a nice sunny day, fans complain about how long the game is.  Seriously?  I paid plenty for my ticket, or I paid nothing if it is amateur ball, but regardless, I came to enjoy watching the game.  I knew it would be 9 innings long when I decided to attend.  Extra innings?  I call that free baseball!  What could be finer.  Yet, many want to shorten the game, hurry things along, get if over with.
Let's play some cards.  Let's play as many hands as it takes to complete a game or two of Bridge.  If we have to throw in a couple of hands that are not biddable, or if we take some time to noodle over our responses to our partner's bids, it's all part of the fun of the game.  Yet, there are those who want to finish early, finish at a certain time, speed play along.  I just want to play cards.
I love road trips, whether it is an hour or a day, I love seeing the scenery and enjoying the ride.  I always loved 'going for a ride' as kids on Sunday afternoon with Mom & Dad.  My brother Gus used to take us for a ride when I was home on vacation to look at this real estate or property and along the way we enjoyed talking about who lived where, what is the name of that lake, did you see that deer?  I love the time spent in the car traveling, whether it be around town, across the state or making a trek with an overnight along the way.  But, there are many who want to know how long will it take, when will we get there, what is the fastest route.  I just want to go for a drive.
While I admit, I have my moments of impatience, there are fewer and fewer as I live a life of retirement which has few deadlines and responsibilities.  
I wish others could see how much more fun the journey is in a slower speed.
I was paging through the 2013 Old Farmer's Almanac today 
and ran across this little saying in the March chapter:  
If one is not in a hurry, even an egg will start walking.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails