Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Rookie Mistake

My job today seemed like a simple one:  cut the fabric strips for my upcoming quilt class.
I had purchased 'fat quarters' of fabric some many months ago thinking I would sew a quilt on my own, which hasn't happened.  Now I am signed up for a quilt class in Bayfield, WI at The Orchard's Edge Quilt Store.  My high school friend, Mary, is going to be the instructor which gives me an excuse to go visit Mary and Rick overnight, & attend class AND make a quilt top.
Mary sent me the cutting instructions, not difficult.  
Out of each fat quarter, cut a 6 1/2 inch strip and two 3 1/2 inch strips.  Simple, right?
So, I set up the ironing board (this was Betty Rosenow's board and I was happy to have it to use).
One by one, I ironed the fat quarter and then folded & aligned it on my big cutting pad, cut off the edge to square things up and proceeded to cut my strips.  

This was going along nicely, although there was a little nagging thing in my head wondering if it was just too easy.  Something was bothering me, and finally I realized what.
Oh yeah, I was lined up the the 1 and then cutting on the 6 1/2 inch line.
As I have heard from my Dad, many times, it is critical to measure twice, cut once.
It is important in carpentry for sure, just as it is in sewing.
So, why did it take me almost 20 fat quarters before that little nagging thing in my head finally popped up to the front of my mind and made me realize was was cutting my strip only 5 1/2 inches???
It was lucky that the little nagging thing in my head stopped me before I was completely out of fabric.
It was also lucky that I had extra fat quarters because when I was buying fabric I had not decided if I wanted to make a Queen or King sized quilt.  So, I had just enough extra fabric to cut the number of strips I need at the correct width of 6 1/2".
Good grief.
A rookie mistake? I wonder how many other beginning quilters have made that same silly mistake.
Maybe I was distracted by my cool use of a Pinterest idea to use a bathroom suction cup grab bar as a handle on my large ruler.  It really did work slick.
In the end, my pieces are now cut, although I have almost 30 strips of 5 1/2 inch fabric that have no use as of this moment.  It looks like there will have to be a second quilt sewn.  


 Hopefully I will finish my quilt top at class on March 23rd
and I'll post a photo or two of that finished product.
  In the meantime, I suggest that you pay attention to little nagging things in your head; and always measure twice, but cut once.
***
And on a personal note, another 1.4 lbs have been lost in my journey to better health and fitness.
I am enjoying increasing my strength and endurance.
Staying motivated is always tricky though, and every day that I find myself without time to focus on working out, is a day that I worry about my continued motivation.
Losing weight and maintaining a healthy level of activity is such a head trip.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails