Saturday, March 30, 2013

Free Soup?

Well, not free soup as in no charge, but free as in the Weight Watchers language of zero points.

I decided to make a big pot of soup today, it's raining and cloudy and funky outside, 
so seemed like a good plan.
I've been trying to be true to the Weight Watchers plan for the past 3 months, 
but there are days when I think I am starving!
I printed a recipe from the WW website for a veggie soup that claims to be zero points and used it is my guide to make my own version using veggies that I love.
Rather than saute the veggies to soften them for the soup, I decided to roast them in the oven.  Less interaction from me required, so I could drink coffee and play my computer games, and the oven took care of that part of the process.
Weight Watchers has a feature on their website so you can enter the ingredients of any recipe and their calculator will tell you the point value per serving under the Weight Watchers guidelines, see below.
After I had the soup all together, I decided it needed some zip, 
so I added a generous portion of canned jalapenos.  Yum.
So, I am currently down 8 lbs since I started this health focused eating and exercise plan, and I'm pleased with those results.  Now that the weather is going to be better, and the ice will be gone, I'm looking forward to outdoor activities and getting back into a serious walking routine again.
Until then, I don't want to be starving!  So this is my anti-starving soup.
I'll let you know how it goes.


Wanda's Not Going to Starve Vegetable Soup

NA
Your Recipe
1PointsPlus Value
Prep time:N/A
Cook time:N/A
Other time:N/A
Serves: 20

Ingredients

Instructions

  • My stock was a large freezer bag of homemade chicken stock that I made from boiling the remains of a rotisserie chicken I used to make chicken salad. My ingredient ounce sizes are roughly what is in a can or two. The spinach was one bag of fresh. I chopped into bited sized pieces and roasted the carrots, onion, cabbage, garlic and spinach in the oven before adding to the soup. The spinach only took a few minutes to look wilted, and I added it to the broth and canned ingredients. Once the remaining veggies were roasted, I added them to the liquids that I already had in the pot. Simmer and eat. I'm going to divide this into containers to have in the refrigerator to help with those moments in my day where I think I an 'starving'. I am guessing this to be a 20 serving pot of soup if the servings are about 3/4 of a cup.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails