Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas to my blog readers

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog.

I hope that you will have a very Merry Christmas.



Wanda’s Ode to 2011

If you read my blog, you can skip ahead,
Get some rest, go early to bed.
But for those who might think it fun to hear,
I will recap a little about 2011, a pretty good year.

We started it with a Super Bowl win for the Packers,
A big thrill that made many Wisconsinites go crackers.
Basketball started and many trips were made West,
To watch 4th, 5th grade and high schoolers play their best.

I also made some college games, a cousin’s daughter played, her senior year,
Women’s college basketball is a thrill, sad to see end, I even shed a tear.
Grade school, high school and college, I loved their passion for hoops,
My blog was full of updates; it was fun posting the scoops.

While not all their tournament dreams could come true,
They gave their best, that much I knew.

The winter was long, the snow deep, temperatures low,
I couldn’t wait for it to end, started thinking about seeds to sow.
And so sew I did, but not the gardening kind,
Making aprons out of used men’s shirts, fun and fine.

One last big storm in March dumped on us, but it melted fast,
I went to get the mail, slipped, fell and ended up in a cast.

So for 8 long weeks, I managed with my left arm in a sling,
For chores around the house, I needed help, even for the simplest thing.
I felt sorry for myself some days, but others enjoyed the time reading,
My travel was a bit limited but going many places, I wasn’t really needing.

It all turned out fine, by the end I was getting along just great,
My garden got planted, did some sewing and finally got back to a normal state.
It forced me to take time to appreciate my health and all that I have been given,
And to be mindful that others face great challenges yet continue to be driven.

And then Spring sprung, and I was delighted,
To see tulips popping up, almost 200 sighted.
Stone steps to the garden were built by my nephew Mark,
My lower yard now looking like a very nice park.

My backyard began to be a busy place, sometimes out of sight,
My trail cam catching raccoons on film, almost every night.
Summer went fast; trips to Luck, the Sandcastle cabin, and Big Moon Lake,
Finding people, flowers, animals and birds for photographs to take.

Dad and Ev arrived for a 6 week visit and the fun began,
The garage turned cabinet shop got busy, Dad was running Johansen Cabinetry again.
He made a sewing desk for Ev to be installed in Iowa digs,
And bear resistant bird feeders for my yard, those bears are such pigs.

Dad & Ev & I took a short trip to Upper Michigan to see friends,
I loved the area, more and more trees around every bend.
4th of July was at Glenn’s Big Moon cottage with many of the Johansen clan,
Kids swimmin’ in the lake, burgers on the grill & visiting was all in the plan.

A fresh baby name Bryce to Kaija and Mike was born,
His sisters so proud, a little brother they the can adore.

I am happy to note, one item on my to-do list, piano lessons I began,
The teacher quite patient and my progress slower than what was in my plan.
But now at the end of the year, I am quite pleased to play a few tunes,
It’s harder than I expected but progress is steady, practicing filling many afternoons.

My ‘Other Mother’ Betty passed away in August, she was my friend,
Her daughters my best pals and a celebration of life for her I did attend.
Though the occasion was sad, it was time well spent with The Rosenows,
Visiting with many of Betty’s family and friends, and meeting many I did not know.

More good news, Heather & Kyle welcomed a sweet little baby,
Number 5 for them, Jens Henry Valdemar, a big name? maybe.

Dad and Ev returned in October, in Iowa the last weeks of summer they had spent,
Now back in Wisconsin to house sit for me so Out-West I went.
I spent a little time with Laila, so nice to see my Colorado pals,
Even had time to play Bridge with the gals.

Home again in time for a Johansen gathering at a local motel,
All Dad’s descendants there except for 2, amazing and really swell.
Laila a surprise guest; Glenn & Kathy planned it all,
The kids in the pool, lots of good food, a great family gathering for the Fall.

Dad joined the Johansen guys at the cabin Up North for The Hunt,
The first weekend included a foot of snow dumped by a storm front.
The second weekend better weather, but both weekends filled with fun,
Playing cards, visiting, napping, watching football, who cares if they fired a gun.

Back to Iowa the folks went and so now I am back to living alone,
They are settled back into their apartment and getting used to their new phone.
So they can check their email, receive photos and sometimes talk, a smart phone,
They were game for the challenge even though learning to use it might make them groan.

That’s enough, o-my two pages, what was I thinking,
From reading all this your eyes are probably blinking.

As we close the year, I wish you good cheer,
I continue to appreciate my life here.
Many good days is my wish for you,
Have a Merry Christmas and a great 2012 too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails