Monday, June 13, 2011

Paint progress and more progress & the finale

The house I bought here in Wisconsin is a manufactured home, which means that the bulk of the construction is done in a factory.  The house is then brought to the building site in 2 pieces and joined down the middle.  The inside of the house is painted with white primer at the factory.  This home is about 9 years old now, I have been here for the last 3.  This is the first painting that I have done since I moved in and the only rooms that had any color on them (also from the factory) were the living room/dining room/kitchen, which is basically one open space.  
It took me a while to decide on colors but finally this spring I bought the paint for master bath and master bedroom.  Then, unfortunately, I had my accident and was not in good painting condition while wearing the cast.
This last week I finally felt up to starting the project.
–––sss———
For the master bath, I decided to do a lighter color around the jetted tub/shower area and a richer color around the vanity / stool area.
The colors I used  were both Benjamin Moore colors:  Bradstreet Beige, Valley Forge Brown.
Before in the tub area.  The square on the wall is a 'paint sample' of the Valley Forge Brown color.
After Bradstreet Beige.
Before around the sink and stool.
Valley Forge brown is a very rich color and yes, it is dark.
Grab bars and toilet paper holder and towel bar-all back in place.
'Spa' area above jetted tub.
I remembered I have this vintage pot, Coorsite, and will look for a proper bathroom plant  for it to hold.
My plan is to use the bright white accessories - towel bars, etc to balance all the color.
RRRllRRR
The master bedroom was an easier job, only a few doors and windows to paint around.
I chose a color called Little Boy Blue, also a Benjamin Moore color.
For years I have collected items with a polar bear theme .   I wanted to have a master bedroom that showcased some of those items and I wanted color.
I did not get any great before pictures of the master bedroom, but you get the idea here I think.
I think the dark furniture really is a good contrast to the blue walls.
You can't see this picture well enough to know that it is a numbered embossed  print of a polar bear.
This print was given to me by good friends, Mark & Karen Michaud, many years ago and now it has a nice place in my Rice Lake home.
The space above the headboard is TBD.
I am taking a quilt class in August and will make a small bear paw design quilt, I plan to use colors that work in this room and then will hang it over the headboard - I hope.
Another favorite polar bear item of mine is the glass lamp that was custom design & custom handcrafted by Sherri Anderson who owned Studio Works in Luck, WI for a number of years.  http://sherristudio.blogspot.com

Also in the above photo is a water color print that I bought many years ago from an artist in Fort Collins, CO.  I was lucky enough to meet Susan Blackwood at an event in Denver and have several other of her water colors around the house.  
She no longer works in water color but continues to be a renown artist.

TT>>>TT
The cats were surprisingly absent during almost all of the painting.  Yesterday when I was working on the baseboard in the bedroom, Barley found a safe spot from which she could supervise my progress.
She's laying under the bed, next to a stuffed cat that Laila gave me before I moved.
All in all, this project went pretty well.
10 foot ceilings are kind of nice, but it does provide challenges when painting.
I had some trouble with the wall to ceiling cut in along the top of the bathroom walls in the areas I was reaching across tub or shower, but my skill for that task definitely improved by the time I got to the bedroom, not to mention I could get closer to the work in there.
\\-\\
Next on my list is to paint the guest bathroom, I'm planning on that for tomorrow's project.
***
And here it is the next day and another painting project crossed off the list.
I chose a color that is a light caramel shade, again Benjamin Moore.
I was wanting to give this bathroom a theme since it is the one my guests use.
The cabin, woods theme has been done alot so I just went with a 'Wisconsin Bathroom'.
Ta Da...pictures with my phone, so not that great, but you will get the idea.
The color is really a little darker than what this picture shows.
This boat shelf was made by nephew Kris years ago
Lois gave it to me as she had more than one,
prefect for a 'Sconny bathroom...gotta have a boat.
The picture on the wall is a poem called "Up North",
I had this on my wall at Coors and at home in Colorado for a long time,
I think it was part of my inspiration for the move.
The little bell pull is a cross stitch that I made many moons ago, all Wisconsin items.
The small prints above the towels are more by the artist, Susan Blackwood
Both watercolors, one is of fox kits and one is a mountain lion and kitten.
So, next is the guest bedroom.
I picked out the paint tonight, it is called 'baby turtle'.
The plan is to tackle that tomorrow and then on Thursday lay on the couch all day.
hnksssknh

 Thanks for stopping by.

So, Wednesday worked out to be paint the guest bedroom day.
It was lightly raining all day long so why not paint.
The first few strokes of 'baby turtle' didn't impress me, but once it was all done, I like it a lot.

Yikes!  I am glad I didn't pick the darker shade, which I almost did.
Good thing the color name caught my eye 'baby turtle'.
I had these curtains in my bedroom in Colorado and still love them, they were in the inspiration for the wall color.

This will be my room when the folks are here this summer, so I am happy to have it looking good.
So, as I look at the colors I have selected...
the master bathroom, Valley Forge brown could also be kind of the color of poop
also in the master bath, the Bradstreet Beige could also be kind of the color of baby poop
in the guest bath, Tawny Bisque kind of looks like the color of poop in a diaper
and in the guest bedroom, Baby Turtle green, could be the color of poop if you are not feeling so great.
I am not sure what to make of my color selections.
I wonder if HGTV wants to do a segment.
iiiii
That's a wrap on the painting news.
Thanks for stopping in and looking around my blog.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails