Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It Takes a Village

Yesterday I worked on decorating the rest of the house for the holiday. Some years ago I (after professing that I would never) started collecting a few 'village' buildings for a brewery Christmas display.
~
I loved my brewery life and this little village is my tribute to my Coors family and through it I take a little walk down my Coors memory lane.
~
I worked most of my Coors career in the brewhouse. The copper kettles had an aura of romanticism. I also spent a fair amount of time in the 6th floor bar at the brewery 'tasting'. So, any respectable brewery village must have a Bierstube.

The cuckoo clock maker makes me think of the hours I spent at the brewery, and even on my worst day there, I knew it was the best job in the world for me. But, all brewery workers need rest so there must be an Inn in the village.

Malting and milling the barley is key to any great beer. I worked in the Malthouse at Coors for a few years, and spent much of my career planning and scheduling the production in the Golden Malthouse. The 'barley guys & gals' at the brewery and in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Southern & Northern Colorado are still some of my best friends.

Handmade decorations...well this has nothing to do with my Coors career, I just thought he was cute and clever. I bet the little bugger will be thirsty for a cold beer after doing this all day.
Lastly, the most important ingredient in any great beer is the water. These two buildings that have a stream running under them remind me of Clear Creek that runs all through the Coors property and the many springs which supply the Rocky Mountain Spring Water for Coors Banquet and Coors Light.

And of course most villages have a few stray cats, especially in a brewery town. Mice often come with grains and so a cat is a needed resident. Somehow my cat is a little out of proportion to my little village.

Or maybe it was just a camera lens deal.

Both Hops and Barley have been curious about the village, Hops decided to take a rest so she could really study all the little characters.

Barley wanted to take a closer look at what was what with this new addition to our living room. It made me think "Honey, I shrunk the brewery!"

~

It will be two years on January 18th, 2010, since I retired from the brewery, but not a day goes by that I don't remember all my friends still working and my pals who are retired. For 31 years I loved working there and I hope I have at least 31 years to love living off my Coors retirement!

~
Every day is a gift, Thank You Coors!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails