Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Waxwings

This morning I had a flock of Cedar Waxwings in my maple tree outside the bedroom window. What a sight! They were too high in the tree for me to get a good photo, more ammo for me to think I need a digital camera with big time zoom lens! I found this photo on the net.

I also had the male cardinal flitting around. He's been spending some time back in the brush pile that Ryan and I made when we cut down the trees last week. In fact, that brush pile has been a busy intersection of birds coming and going, perfect way to encourage more activity in my yard, thanks Ryan!


http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cedar_Waxwing/id

Behavior
Cedar Waxwings are social birds that you’re likely to see in flocks year-round. They sit in fruiting trees swallowing berries whole, or pluck them in mid-air with a brief fluttering hover. They also course over water for insects, flying like tubby, slightly clumsy swallows.

Adult
Black mask and chin
Brown head and chest
Yellow wash across belly
White undertail
Yellow tail tip

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails